Sunday, October 21, 2012

Portland Museum of Art

I enjoyed the photography portion of this exhibit. I really enjoyed Alan Vlach's salted paper prints. They struck me as odd, for they were soft, but detailed and sharp looking. All felt very dramatic. I then discovered that they were not taken with a film camera, but were shot with digital and edited in photoshop. I then realized that he most likely had used an unsharp mask for the photo, allowing so much detail and grain. I also enjoyed Keliy Anderson- Staley's collodion prints. I can't help but be a little critical of them for they are actually prints of a her wet plates. I did wish we could of seen the originals. I found her subject matter, however, to be very interesting. These still life shots reminded me a lot of Sydney's past project where she did still life's of forgotten items. 
Overall, I enjoyed this trip. I really liked looking at all the different processes to create these photos and knowing what they are and how to create them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the exhibition at the PMA. I just wanted to let you know that the 24 still lifes are, in fact, the actual tintypes--each is a unique wet plate made in camera. My three landscapes, on the other hand, are all prints made from scans of tintypes I shot on location. It's true that nothing quite beats the beauty of an actual tintype, but there is something to be said for looking at a sweeping landscape on a larger scale.

    I just happened to stumble across your blog here. It's great to see you experimenting with these processes. --Keliy Anderson-Staley

    ReplyDelete