Monday, April 23, 2012

Artist Lecture/ Clara Coleman/ Painter

    Throughout Clara's M.F.A. Thesis, I found a lot of her struggles and concepts relatable. She spoke of her journey to find her voice as an artist. Finding her desired subject matter, color palette, speed at which she works, and influences. She found that "going with her gut" and finding inspiration through artists she enjoyed was the best way to truly convey her voice as an artist in the art world. She descried art as a "necessary language" and said how it "serves as a great energy outlet". She also mentioned how her reasoning for her pieces typically comes after the fact and a lot of reflection. Although I am rather unfamilar and unexperienced when it comes to painting,  was able to connect through my experiences with photography as an art. I too struggled to find my voice as an artist. For a while I was focusing too much on pre-planned meaning rather than simply, "going with my gut" and trusting my initial appeal. Once I was able to trust myself as an artist, I slowly came to find my voice through my composition, subject matter, and desired contrast. I too find my artwork as a great energy outlet. I am extremely fast moving and scatter-brained and shooting photographs, specifically digital or holga, allows me to focus my energy towards something and ends up being quite therapeutic. Although artists may use different mediums, or say dialect, we all speak the same language and experience universal obstacles, questions, and realizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment